Pages

Sunday, July 7, 2013

Back In The Routine


Here recently, we've been slacking in our farm duties. Well, I shouldn't say slacking- there is always a LOT to do: picking veggies, caring for critters, and all that goodness. And we've done most of it.

But, there's that bit we haven't: milking.

I love fresh goat's milk. I even enjoy the satisfaction of milking, knowing where the milk came from and that my own two hands were a part of it. Sometimes I wonder how I got out of the routine. 

I guess I really do know. We let our kids nurse off their momma's, so we stop milking for a month or two or three... and then we get lazy. I get lazy. It's so nice to sleep in, you know? Then there's the hand cramps that come with getting your hands use to the rythm and movement of milking again. There's fighting the onery first fresheners who don't want to be milking. Fighting the hordes so you only bring in one or two goats at a time.

It's tougherthan it seems.

But, today that's changing. We moved the buck away from the gall's (to prevent musky tasting milk), and started the process. We're milking four goats this year, and bring them in two at a time. Mom with a big girl, and me with a small. It's done in no time, and things are as they should be.

Now, there's just the matter of not getting lazy again.

No comments:

Post a Comment